Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Welcome, 2012! Glad to have you with us.

Hi guys!  I hope you all had a great, relaxing holiday full of family, friends, not getting dressed until late afternoon, and—let's be honest—some serious TBS marathoning.  It’s been a while since I’ve blogged (hey fall, where'd ya go?), and I wanted to pop in and wish everyone a great 2012!  : ) 

2011 was both a wonderful and challenging year for me.  Work-wise, I finished my first book and started a second, which I'm really proud of and excited about.  I went to Paris with friends, where we worked, played, and accidentally ordered an $800 bottle champagne and didn't realize it until the last drop had been poured.  (Le whoops.)  A painful yet delicious mistake, if I may say so.      
 
This summer, I went to a writing retreat on Fire Island.  It wasn't fun at all.  We are all just So. Serious. All the time.
(Pictured are the lovely Courtney Sheinmel, Leila Sales, Lexa Hillyer, Elizabeth Miles, Rebecca Serle, and Lauren Oliver.)

But my #1 favorite day of the whole year was when got engaged in Italy, right after the Bologna Book Fair.  My uncle put it pretty well when he heard the news: "Jess, only you would get proposed to on April Fool's Day in a city named after a lunch meat."  Touché, Uncle Pete.  Touché. 
                                          
So yes, lots of wonderful, happy occasions!   

On the less happy side, though, I can't lie—2011 had its share of really tough times. Out of nowhere, my mom was diagnosed with advance stage breast cancer, which (as anyone who's been through it with a friend or family member knows) is not easy.  So it's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster around here, but the good news is, my mom is a fighter and I know she's going to kick this thing's butt.  And, thankfully, we've got a brand new year ahead with lots to look forward to.     

Starting with... BOOKS!  There are so many incredible books coming in 2012 from writers I love—like Pandemonium by Lauren OliverLevel Two by Lenore AppelhansWhen You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle, A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies, Stella Batts by Courtney SheinmelWhatever After by Sarah MlynowskiAll You Never Wanted by Adele Griffin...  not to mention so many debuts by the fabulous Apocalypsies!  I'm really honored to be in their club; they are the nicest, most supportive people around. 

Another huge reason I'm excited for 2012?  WEDDINGS!  Apparently, love is in the air, because I just checked my calendar and I've already got 7 of them lined up this year, and that's not even including mine.  So if anyone has a fancy dress or two they would like to loan me, please do not hesitate.  Because this is getting ridiculous.  Here's where I'm getting married, by the way.  Isn't it pretty??  I <3 Brooklyn. 


Next on the list, I give you two words: HUNGER GAMES.  Nuff said. 


And last but certainly not least, only 49 days until the release of CATASTROPHIC HISTORY!!  (But um, who's counting?) Thank you so much to all the bloggers, librarians, and teens who've reached out over the last few months to tell me they've loved the read!  I can't help but feel crazy excited (and yes, nervous!) for Catastrophic to hit shelves (and e-readers) around the world next month.  : )  Rights have sold in 14 countries so far (plus a brand new audio deal), and I'll be sharing a lot more details about touring and events soon!  Honestly, I don't think I've been this excited since my legs got to be on the cover of Mandy Hubbard's awesome and hilarious Prada & Prejudice.  (Hi Mandy!  *waves*)  

So that's all for now!  Happy 2012 again, friends, and here's to an awesome year full of love, happiness, health, and good surprises!   

xo,  

4 comments:

  1. Really... your legs when on Prada and Prejudice...that rocks! :) So excited about your book, I was put on a review request list but don't know if I'll get one'...? I hope 2012 is excellent to you! Wish you all the best with your mum, I know what your going through!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Jess! So thrilled 2011 brought us together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for this book (I work in children's publishing, so I've definitely been hearing the buzz). You had quite a busy year that I'm surprised you had time to write, let alone sleep!

    http://bklovin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete